Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Again, it is all about food.


There has been cooking for homework. Both Claire and Rosemary have had homework that requires helping with cooking or actually cooking a meal.

Rosemary made Toad in the Hole.




Claire had to be more adventurous. She needed to do two courses, a table plan, a menu and clean up the mess, all by herself.

Presenting the Irvine Cafe


Two course special of Chicken Parmigiana with a green salad and crusty bread, followed by Golden Syrup puddings. She started at six, we sat down at the table at eight. For a first attempt at a whole meal, it was pretty impressive.





Lest you think the cooking in this house is no longer all about me, I cooked a rabbit. At the Farmers Markets on Saturday morning I had been going to buy a chicken from Corey at Thirlmere Poultry (my duck supplier). As he does every time I stop there, he said 'How about a rabbit?'. I like rabbit, but I usually say no. However, I said yes, so we had slow cooked rabbit with chorizo cooked in cider, served with some fresh parpadelle from Wee Jasper Pasta. Yum. (I did have to chop it up, but I have spared you the big knife and dismemberment shots this time.)





2 comments:

  1. i love this! Creating your own cafe menu and having the girls cook stuff. Really impressive. I had toad in the hole once in England and it was delicious. Might have to give it a go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our next door neighbours had a pet rabbit when I was growing up, so I can't quite come at eating it. Which is bizarre, given how much I love duck and how fluffy they are! But I have a feeling that my mum may have snuck rabbit onto the menu once about 20 years ago and claimed it was chicken, so I may have eaten it after all.
    Having said all that, anything you cook would be amazing, Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete