Tuesday, March 22, 2011

About music

I love music. I love singing by myself, with other people, in the car, in the kitchen. But there were a lot of years where I didn't have much music in my life. Once I had children, silence became more important. I valued listening to nothing and would deliberately switch stuff off, not on. Not that the kids' music was not enjoyable - while I can't bear the Wiggles, I have whiled away many hours of road trips listening to some of the great Playschool cds, and then later the music of Sandra Boynton - well crafted and funny to boot.

But it wasn't my music. I don't listen to commercial radio, or watch video hits on TV. I found myself completely out of touch with what people listen to. I have an extensive collection of CDs, collected over the years. But I didn't listen to them much anymore.

Then I bought an i-pod. It is interesting, I have been thinking about writing this post for a while, and then this article in the Sydney Morning Herald caught my eye. It is ten years since the release of the first i-pod and apparently, they may not be making many more of them. I am often the last person to jump on a bandwagon but I will say, I love my i-pod because through it, I re-discovered my love of music. My i-pod, and i-tunes has changed the way I listen to music, because I can browse around, find tracks that I like, which lead me to other things, which is always interesting. I still don't have lots of current music in my playlists, but I've got some and I've got lots of old friends who have put out new stuff that I didn't know about. And it's fun. I can dance in my kitchen to a whole mix of stuff and sing really loudly and embarrass my kids.

So happy birthday i-pod. I will cherish mine and hope that Claire's survives its trip through the washing machine (not looking good though). And in the immortal words of a group from Sweden who make no appearance in my playlists - thank you for the music, for giving it to me.

1 comment:

  1. i love mine too. It's been life changing since i got one six or so years ago (it means as a couple we can share music in the car more easily too since we put them on shuffle and everyone's happy).

    Whenever friends in their 30s and 40s say there's no good music anymore I say don't think that because mainstream radio is aimed at teenagers there's nothing else out there. You're right - itunes and looking around reveals so much music that's worth finding. I read reviews, follow recommendations - anything to keep music alive. if we all just relied on video shows and commercial radio, we'd never listen to anything or we'd be stuck in what we listened to in our younger days (which isn't always worth going back to!).

    Can you tell I'm passionate about this subject?

    ReplyDelete