Friday, April 29, 2011

What are clogs and why should they be loved?

I thought an explanation of the name of this blog was due. Now maybe no one has been wondering why a blog that never mentions clogs would be called Lovemyclogs, but in case you have, here goes.

My original clogs

Several years ago now, I rediscovered knitting. I then discovered that knitting and the internet go hand in hand, particularly with a site where I now spend a lot of time - Ravelry. This is a social networking site for people who love fibre arts - knitting, crocheting, weaving etc. Anyway, through reading some blogs and spending time on ravelry, I discovered that you can knit things and then deliberately shrink them to make a felted fabric, namely CLOGS! I found the pattern for a particular style of felted slippers I wanted to try, made them, felted them and I was hooked. The transformation in my washing machine from floppy knitted article to snug, funky, warm and comfy footwear was nothing short of magical. Since then I have made and given away many pairs, although I currently don't have a pair myself, having shrunk my originals further to give to Claire. I also found you can felt other things, like bags and hats and tea cosies and oven mitts....

I didn't make any clogs last year, because I got hooked on knitting other things, like lacy shawls,

but a friend requested a replacement pair of clogs this year, and I made her some. I had forgotten how much fun they are.

So, first you knit.

Then you put them in a pillowcase, in the washing machine.


Wash in hot water for as long as it takes.


Squeeze the water out, shape, dry and


wear!

I love my clogs. (If you want some, just ask!)

1 comment: