Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sydney


I'm a Sydneysider born and bred. Spent half of my life in and around the leafy suburbs of the lower north shore, before breaking out to a few different suburbs, different towns and then finally leaving all together. It's five years since I've lived in Sydney and I don't get back there very often now. A recent work trip gave me a few days in the city without kids.


It was lovely to catch up with my friend Lisa and see her new apartment at Balmain, overlooking the Anzac Bridge. Very nice.



I caught the bus into town on Monday morning. I am so glad I don't have to play city commuter anymore. My eight minute car trip to work suits me just fine, rather than toiling through the streets like these folk have to.


I had a lovely walk from Pitt St down to Circular Key - Sydney on a breezy sunny day was spectacular, and I love the contrast you get with the old buildings next to new. Noisy though, there's a lot of construction going on.


Part of the trip was a tour of a cruise ship that was in town.


Great views of the harbour, I could have done without the rest. At least now I know that I never want to go on a cruise.

But I got my reward. After a lot more work on Monday, there was dinner at Billy Kwong in Surry Hills, where I have long wanted to eat. We had pork belly pancakes, prawn dumplings, steamed murray cod, white cooked chicken, stir fried mushrooms (mushrooms supplied by Noel, who sells me mushrooms at the farmers markets) and the dish of the night - rice noodles filled with beef brisket and black bean sauce. Double yum.




We're heading back to Sydney over Easter and I will enjoy spending time in my old home town again. I think though I now class it as 'nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.'

2 comments:

  1. Sydney really is such a great city to visit - and dinner at Billy Kwong! Sounds like it was unspeakably delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish :) We were going to Sydney for Easter, but have decide to go further north to the lake.

    ReplyDelete