Tuesday, September 6, 2011

When seasons collide

It's been a great winter for truffles in Canberra.  Not the chocolate variety, but the fungus.  We've been getting to know Keith, who has been selling his truffles at the farmers market on Saturday morning, and my sister has been buying one every few weeks.  But we had a special event at the close of the truffle season - it was like the baton was passed from one luxury to another.  Imagine my delight, when not only was Keith at the markets for one extra week, but the first harbinger of spring was present too.

Yes my friends, there was asparagus.  I love asparagus.


So I had asparagus.  I had a free range chicken.  There seemed to be only one thing left to do.  It was time to buy my own truffle.  Enough sponging from my sister, I was due to hand over my own cold hard cash.  I chose two little truffles - 25 grams, which came in at $60.



Then, weeks of what I call 'supplier relationship management' and my sister calls flirting paid off.  'Thanks for being such a great customer' said Keith and put another truffle in the bag.  (I weighed it when I got home. 28 grams!)







So, we had truffled roast chicken.  It was damned fine.



There is also a jar of arborio rice in the fridge with a truffle in it, waiting to become truffled risotto.


The collision of the seasons was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment